The news that there were no cases of swine flu was misinformation. It's believed that announcement was made to quell fears within our hotel. So yes, swine flu has infiltrated our training group. In the dark of night, we were ushered to a government facility for a 9-day quarantine. I am getting cozy, dormitory-style, with 70 other trainees who were also exposed. However, I fear I may have been exposed more than most. I'm feeling a bit smug about my stellar immune system.
Swine Flu Timeline & My Exposure:
Saturday, May 16, 7:16am: Arrived in South Korea
Sunday, May 17, 6:00pm: Dinner/drinks with 24 CDI trainees, including 4 with swine flu
Monday, May 18, 7:45pm: Dinner with 2 of the swine flu patients
Tuesday, May 19, 11:30am-3:30pm: Study session with first sick girl
Tuesday, May 19, 6:00pm: Counseled sick girl to go to hospital, after our final training session of the day
Wednesday, May 20, 8:10am: Bus ride next to girl involved in second case
Wednesday, May 20, 9:15pm: Study session with her
Thursday, May 21, 7:35am: Breakfast with her
Thursday, May 21: Second girl goes to the hospital
Tuesday-Thursday, 9am-7:30pm: Day-long classes and studying with third girl to go to the hospital
Friday, May 22, 5:35pm: Successful completion of training, sign contract
Friday, May 22, 8:10pm: Return to hotel instead of going to my school, for fear of getting sick
Saturday, May 23, 3:15am: Doctors arrive at hotel to take temperature of all trainees
Saturday, May 23, 5:00am: Interview over my contact with patients, quarantine notice
Saturday, May 23, 11:21am: 2-hour Skype conversation with Mike
Saturday, May 23, 1:30pm: Snuck out of hotel for Starbucks and other provisions
Saturday, May 23, 3:31pm: 90-minute Skype conversation with Mike
Saturday, May 23, 9:11pm: Arrive at government facility with 70 other trainees for 9-day quarantine
Saturday, May 24, 10:30pm: Notice that there are now six cases
Saturday, May 24, 11:10pm: Game of Jenga
The information-sharing has been atrocious. I didn't hear a word about how to handle the quarantine until 3:30pm on Saturday. By that time, I had already snuck out of the hotel to get myself food. Some people didn't eat until 6:00pm, when pizza was delivered. I was able to sneak out since I look quasi-Korean.
I feel fairly confident that I am not sick, despite having a soar throat. The holding facility is institutional but sufficient. However, I'm about at my wit's end with living with other people. I've been dwelling in close quarters for eight weeks now. I was placed with three other girls in the facility, but found an empty room and hijacked it for myself. There's a good chance I'll get moved back. Nonetheless, I had to take the risk.
As for teaching, I was supposed to lead my first class on Monday. No money is coming in, but at least no money is going out either. As with everything else in this process, I don't know what's next. The communication void is excruciating.
(I have some pictures but the internet connection is terrible, so it's not allowing me to upload)
Sunday, May 24, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Hang in there. I'm a former CDI instructor and we heard the news that the incoming instructors got hit with the bug. Where ever you're going, the teachers there will probably cover your classes until you get cleared. I know, because I got called in to cover for one new guy until he gets cleared to work again.
ReplyDeleteCheers~ ^^